Monday, November 26, 2012

Introduction

from Grief to Geek

Why the name change?

Well, the name change happened at the 3rd International Breech Birth Conference in Chevy Chase, Maryland.  I had just experience an extreme personal bout of growth, filled with tears, talking, hugs, friends surrounding me, and suddenly we were talking about vagInal farts and how that was a symptom of vaginitis.  Yeah, I'm the one who knew that lovely tidbit - so from Grief to Geek is born.  

What was I doing at the 3rd International Breech Birth Conference?

I have been working with Gail Tully for almost a year and we thought it would be fun and therapeutic to go to this conference.  We asked to present the 1st principle of Spinning Babies, Balance, at the conference with a focus on turning or optimizing the breech position.  The title of our presentation was "Preventing or Easing Breech Birth through  Pelvic Balancing".  We had a great time and had a full room for our time.  Gail eloquently presented the techniques in Spinning Babies and I backed her up with the why's and how it work's of the anatomy of the techniques.  The participants were eager to learn and seemed ready to try incorporating the Balance principles in their practices.  

Gail presided over two panels and, of course, jumped in  throughout the conference to demonstrate and illustrate when her skills were needed.  I was honored to sit on a panel of complimentary therapists, although we were titled alternative therapists - I would never consider myself an alternative, only a compliment, that included Nancy Salgueiro, DC, JoseLo Gutierrez, LAc., Marie-Julia Guittier, Midwife, and Lindsey Vick, Hypnotherapist.  Together we quickly discussed the benefits of chiropractic care, hypnosis, acupuncture, and bodywork during pregnancy to ease or potentially encourage the baby to turn.  All of these modalities help create space, physically, mentally, and spiritually for the baby to have enough room to get into an optimal position for birth.  My main message was to start early, as soon as the second trimester - prevention is everything.  I also left the panel feeling like Communication, Initiation, and Collaboration was paramount to making use of alternative modalities as effective as possible.  I plan to write more on this concept in the near future.  

I was ballsy enough to stand up and say, "That's not quite right.", to the presenters, after they were done presenting, when they were discussing the anatomy of the Frank nudge.    As a delightful result I have gotten to speak in depth with them about the geekier points of this technique used in breech birth, when it is needed.  Please note:  I do NOT claim to do this maneuver, it is beyond my scope of practice to deliver babies.  I am however very well versed in anatomy and that gives me unique perpective on the technicalities of the maneuvers used in birth.  

The presentations were riveting.  The conversations were stimulating.  The new friendships made feel strong and true.  I am really looking forward to my next venture with the Coalition for Breech Birth.  Thank you, Coalition, for standing up for a woman's right to birth on her own terms!

What I am doing now?

I am back in Minnesota enjoying getting back into the routine of my small private practice in St. Louis Park and working on getting approved for practice in the city of Apple Valley.  I am looking forward to some 'nose to grindstone' writing with Gail and Jane Evans.  And I am hoping to start attending a birth or two as a bodyworker or a doula.  
My classes are still running regularly on Monday nights at Northwestern Health Sciences University - Reflexology I, II, and III are being offered for the winter trimester - you can earn CEU's for these classes for the ARCB, NCTMBA, acupuncture, and chiropractic.  I do require certification in reflexology if you want to jump right into II or III.  Anyone is welcome to take Reflexology I.  

I am happily watching my two kids grow up too fast and working hard at being a good partner to my husband.  

Thus is the end of the first blog from Grief to Geek.  Stay tuned!  Upcoming topics include "Fallacies of Pregnancy," Alexander Technique, Dynamic Positioning for Birth through Spinning Babies, and more.  

Feel free to comment as long as it is constructive.  I will delete hurtful and unhelpful posts.  

See you on the flipside!
Adrienne

2 comments:

  1. Adrienne,
    Excellent presentation of your information. We as a society tend to hold to the norms that have become a comfortable answer to the unknown. Thank you for breaking barriers. It is exciting to see how you have embraced your lifes work and I look forward to witness the continued unfolding of events that come from it. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Top Spa Dubai, your number one source for all things Spa. We're dedicated to providing you the very best of local SPA Listing, with an emphasis on Spa & Massage Listing. Founded in 2010, Top Spa Dubai has come a long way from its beginnings in Dubai. When we first started out, drove them to start their own business. We hope you enjoy our Spa services as much as we enjoy offering them to you. If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us. Body Massage in Al Jafiliya

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of everyone's thoughts and ideas. This is a space for learning and the exchange of ideas. Thanks you!